Listed below are 18 things to never feed your dog. Some of the things on the list will seem like common sense, while others might surprise you. Keep a copy of this list on hand, and avoid feeding anything on it to your dog. All of the items below can make your dog sick. Many can cause sever illness, and even death. If your dog accidentally ingests something harmful immediately call your Veterinarian, or contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 for help.
- A top cause of pet poisoning each year comes from over the counter medications, meant for people. Never give your pets any medications without the prior approval and direction of your veterinarian. Many medications that are safe for people can be lethal to your pets.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg, are all highly toxic to your dog. Keep these types of pantry items away from your furry kids.
- Raw yeast, and raw yeast dough, are also dangerous, they can cause stomach bloating, twisting, and death.
- Artificial sweeteners can be toxic to your dog. Xylitol in particular has been shown to cause unsafe drops in blood sugar, seizures, and liver failure. Be very careful to read labels for these types of sweeteners before sharing treats like peanut butter with your canine kiddos.
- Constant, moderate consumption, of onions, chives, and garlic, can cause anemia in dogs. Over time this can lead to big health issues. Large amounts, less often are also dangerous. Avoid feeding these in any form including, fresh, powdered, or dehydrated.
- Grapes, raisins, and currents, cause kidney failure in dogs. Chose other fruits like banana slices, melon, and blueberries, for a sweet treat for your pup.
- While the fruit of apples, pears, peaches, and cherries are fine for your pet, don’t allow them to eat the seeds and pits. Many seeds and pits contain cyanide, a poison that’s dangerous to people and pets alike.
- Avocados while wonderfully healthy for people, contain persin known to be toxic to pets.
- Certain varieties of mushrooms are lethal for dogs. For this reason, I suggest avoiding them altogether when it comes to your dogs food dish. Veggies like carrots, broccoli, and cucumber slices, are better choices.
- Tomatoes are fine for Fido, but the tomato plant, stems, and leaves, are not. Plant leaves, and stems, should not be fed to your dog. Keep a vigilante eye on your pets when they’re playing near the garden.
- Never feed your dog rhubarb.
- Corn cobs, bones, and gum, can all cause chocking and serious internal blockages. Sharp bone shards can cut and puncture. Never feed these to your dog.
- Large quantities of caffeine, and small amounts of alcohol, can both cause deadly poisoning with no available cure. So no morning brew, or night caps for Spot!
- Macadamia nuts are highly toxic to your dog. In 12-24 hours they can cause tremors, vomiting, and hypothermia. Give peanut butter as a treat but stay away from macadamias.
- Cat food is for cats! Need I say more? Cat food is formulated for the specific high protein needs of your cat, it is unhealthy for your dog.
- Just as you would never eat under cooked meat, fish, or chicken, neither should your pets. Salmonella, e. coli, and parasites can make them very ill too. Always cook your dogs food thoroughly to avoid these illness’s.
- Excess salt can actually cause poisoning to your pet. Don’t feed them salty treats like pop corn or potato chips. Fresh fruit slices, a small piece of cheese, or raw carrot chips, are a much better idea.
- Chocolate is toxic for most dogs. Even a little bit can cause seizures, and can be fatal. Avoid feeding your dog any type of chocolate, or chocolate flavored foods. Even white chocolate can be harmful to your pet.
Don’t forget to share this important information with friends and family, and to like on Facebook.
Until next time, be well, stay strong, and have a wonderful day!