You’ve finished pulling in the last of your victory gardens, and now you’re probably asking yourselves, “What do I do with all of these tomatoes and zucchini?” This recipe is an easy, tasty way to use up some of those summer garden vegetables.
It makes a flavorful, filling meal for your family dinner. It would also be a nice dish to serve at a luncheon. Try pairing it with your favorite grain and a fresh salad. The last time I made it for dinner, it was so good that nobody even ate the salad. When the meal was over we were all stuffed!
Did you know that going vegetarian one or two nights a week is economical, and a good way to be more healthy?
So, why not go vegetarian for dinner tonight?
Yield: 6 servings
Fiber: 2.8 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Fat: 9.8 grams
Sugar: 5.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 8.5 grams
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 large zucchini
2 small tomatoes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
4 sprigs of fresh oregano
2 oz of part skim milk mozzarella, shredded
1.5 oz of smoked Gouda, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Slice the zucchini into rounds that are 1/8 – 1/4″ thick.
3. Slice the tomatoes and quarter them.
4. Place a large, oven proof frying pan on top of the stove. Add the oil to the pan. If you don’t have an oven proof pan, you can use a regular frying pan. Just transfer the zucchini to a greased baking dish right after step # 7, before adding the tomatoes.
5. Place the zucchini into the pan, and season with salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle the thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder over the top.
6. Cook the zucchini over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
7. Lower the heat to medium, and cover the pan. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes. At this point, the zucchini will be almost cooked. It should be softened, but not completely cooked through.
8. Place the tomatoes evenly over the top of the zucchini.
10. Sprinkle the oregano leaves, evenly over the vegetables.
11. Top the dish with the shredded cheeses, and place in the preheated oven.
12. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The vegetables will be cooked through, and the cheese will be melted.
Please share and like on Facebook. Subscribe to this website to receive my free newsletter, and to be included in any future offers, discounts, and free giveaways!