We are each unique individuals with different health and nutritional needs. Due to my own personal health needs, I chose to give up grains a long time ago. This decision was a good one for me, but over time I noticed how much I missed having a bowl of hot cereal for breakfast. I created this recipe to satisfy that urge. This porridge is gluten-free, grain-free, and low carb. It’s creamy, filling, and has a nice nutty flavor. It’s got 13 grams of protein, 91.5 mg of potassium, and over a third of the daily recommended amount of iron.
Yield: 2 servings
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 Tbsp whole flax seed, freshly ground in a small coffee grinder, or 4 Tbsp of finely ground flax meal
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 large pastured egg, beaten
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk (I used the homemade coconut milk recipe from my book)
- pinch of salt
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a small to medium saucepan. Whisk to evenly combine.
- Add the egg and the milk to the pan. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook over medium-low heat on the stove top. While cooking, use a large spoon to continuously mix the porridge.
- Continue to cook and mix until the porridge reaches the desired thickness.
- The porridge can be served immediately, or stored covered under refrigeration, for another day during the week.
This delicious recipe is great eaten with either sweet toppings or savory ones. The list is endless. For those of you with a sweet-tooth, try topping yours with cinnamon, berries, shredded coconut, apple chunks, or nut butter. For those who like theirs more like grits, try toppings such as cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, or shredded cheese. However you like yours, you really can’t go wrong with this recipe. So, get creative and enjoy!