Transition Period Information
During your transition into fat-burning, your body will be going through a process that is very similar to withdrawal. While many people will get through this phase without incident, there are some who may not feel very well during this adjustment period. There is the possibility that you may feel lethargic, or more tired than usual. You may even get headaches or feel queasy. These transitional symptoms are often called the “keto flu,” and are only a temporary response to the changes in your diet. Below I’ve listed some strategies to help minimize the most common symptoms.
- One of the most common causes of the keto flu is related to an imbalance of your electrolytes. During the transition period our bodies tend to lose more salt through urination then we normally do. Salting your food to taste will help you stay hydrated and will help to prevent constipation.
- Consider taking a magnesium supplement. Magnesium supplements can be useful in preventing muscle cramps, constipation, insomnia, and migraine headaches. Magnesium supplements come in many forms. If you do choose to supplement with magnesium, I recommend taking it in the form of Magnesium glycinate. Magnesium glycinate is the most bio-available form of magnesium, and the gentlest on your system.
- Drink lots of water, and make sure you are getting enough rest.
- Many may find the most beneficial course of action is to purchase a good electrolyte drink mix, and use that to stay hydrated throughout the day. If you decide to go this route, do not supplement further with additional magnesium or potassium.
- If you should experience constipation, try adding a tablespoon of ground flax seeds to one or more meals per day. A spoonful or two of coconut oil or MCT oil will also help. Try only one of these methods at a time to avoid stomach distress.
Additionally, this would not be the time to start any new strenuous exercise programs. These next few weeks are a time to reset and relax. If you already participate in regular physical activities, go a little easy during this stage. Be assured that once you have passed through this very temporary stage, you will be filled with energy and feeling great!
Beginners Guide to Keto: Table of Contents